Butcher blocks are essential for preparing your whole smoked brisket or pork shoulder. You need a cutting board that’s up to the task of catching juices and withstanding the pressure of your chef’s knife. Discover key features and recommendations with our guide to today’s best butcher blocks.
One of the most important kitchen utensils for grill and meat fans is a butcher block. Although mainly for meat, they are also used to cut vegetables or fish.
The material of your cutting board is very important as different materials will react with certain types of knife blades or food.
In today’s guide, we’re going to show you five of the best butcher blocks out there today and what features set them apart.
A chopping board or chopping block needs to be durable, long lasting, last a lifetime and most importantly adapt to the food we cook. It should be more than just a piece where we work with our ingredients, but let’s contribute to the overall process and soon we’ll show flavor to everything. That’s what the SoulFine Bamboo Butcher Block literally brings to the table.
It has a sleek design that not only adds a little flair to your meal prep, but also looks great in your kitchen. This cutting board is different from ordinary ones, which are easily stained, difficult to clean, and don’t have ugly knife scratches everywhere.
This is a scary extra large butcher block and it comes with a juice slot, which is super handy if you ask us. Simple but effective design, that’s what the cutting board is all about. It’s low-maintenance, scratch-resistant, and won’t warp or crack even with regular, heavy use — probably until you decide it’s time to give it a break.
It is reversible and comes with comfortable handles. Measures 17 x 13 x 1.5 inches. Serve in style with bamboo and serve your food to perfection. This butcher block is pretty accurate.
John Boos Reversible Cutting Board
At 20 x 15 x 2.5 inches, this usable cutting board from John Boos is one butcher block from hell. It’s right in the mid-range price range, but wow, that’s a worthwhile chopping board and you probably won’t be needing it for a long time.
It weighs 17 pounds and is a reversible cutting board. It has a maple edge grain, making it rock hard and tough enough to withstand the wear and tear of everyday chopping and chopping. It really is one of the best boards used for food preparation around the world.
The flat sides can themselves be used as additional cutting surfaces. Its lightweight construction and comfortable handles on each side make for an easy-to-move board. It’s also pretty easy to wash and care for.
It is also worth noting that the brand itself promotes the eco-friendly manufacture of its products, since we are dealing with wood here. For maintenance, simply clean this cutting board with hot soapy water and allow to dry appropriately. It also comes with a slot that spans all the dimensions of the cutting board.
- John Boos Block RA02-GRV Reversible Cutting Board with Maple Edge and Juice Pit…
- MADE IN THE USA – Every butcher block and cutting board from John Boos is proudly made in Effingham,…
- The butcher block is made from hand-selected, sustainably sourced northern hard rock maple…
John Boos Round Chopping Block
If YOU are looking for a round butcher block then the John Boos Round Cutting Block should be at the top of your list. This cutting board has a diameter of 18 inches and is of course also made of maple. It weighs 9.27 pounds and is 3 inches thick.
Made only by skilled craftsmen in the USA, this butcher block features sturdy quality and will last a lifetime with proper maintenance. And that shouldn’t be difficult either. Again, as discussed above, the John Boos chopping board above only requires hot, soapy water.
This one also features the distinctive end-grain construction loved by world-class cooking experts around the world. It’s ugly and sturdy, and it comes in a variety of sizes should you need something bigger or smaller.
The brand has been making this type of products for over 100 years, you also know that they not only have experience but also great credibility. So when we say these cutting boards are going to last a lifetime, we really mean it. While this can be a little pricey, if you have a few bucks to spare it should all be worth it.
- ESSENTIAL KITCHEN TOOL – Essential accessory for food preparation, perfect for chopping meat,…
- 18 INCH ROUND CUTTING BLOCK – The 3 inch thick, 18 inch round wood cutting block has a…
- SOLID WOOD CONSTRUCTION: Constructed from sustainably sourced, durable, hand-picked hard maple…
Mevell Walnut End Grain Cutting Board
If you’re looking for the best looking chopping boards on the market look no further than the Mevell walnut fiber chopping board. It is indeed a visually stunning walnut design butcher block, but of course this cutting board isn’t just about looks, it’s about as sturdy as it looks.
It is guaranteed to be durable and long lasting with its hardwood grain naturally sustainably sourced and made from Canadian Black Walnut. This cutting board is thick, ranging from 0.75 to 2 inches thick depending on the size you order. It’s also reversible and has a juice groove that runs around the core of the cutting board.
It is seasoned and ready to use as it is hand finished with high quality oil and beeswax. This material is also not as hard as bamboo, so it’s actually gentler on knife edges. Therefore, this is a valuable alternative if you are using a specific set of knives that are not as compatible with bamboo. Then knowing how to manage our knife is also very useful.
This should look very stylish in your kitchen and add to your overall aesthetic.
- DURABLE AND LONG LASTING – Sustainably sourced hardwood butcher block made of…
- Visually stunning end grain chopping board that will stand out on any countertop – Mevell Butcher…
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE – Our boards made of American black walnut are gentle on the knife and at the same time…
Daddy Chef End Grain Wood
Okay, from the high-quality butcher blocks, we introduce the Daddy Chef End Grain Wood Cutting Board, which is actually just like the Soulfino Bamboo Cutting Board that we reviewed earlier. If you’re on a budget but still want to own a cutting board, check out this one.
This product is made of hard hardwood, especially oak. It measures 16 x 12 x 1.5 inches and weighs 7.7 pounds. This rectangular board also has a unique design. It doesn’t have a juice slot, but it has non-slip silicone feet to keep it stable at all times.
The design of the end grain cutting board should also help keep your knives sharper. Perfect for carving anything from meat to vegetables. It’s also fairly easy to clean and maintain, guaranteeing a long lifespan.
- ✅HIGH -QUALITY MATERIALS – To make Daddy Chef wooden cutting boards, we use a combination of…
- ✅OPTIMAL SIZE AND READY FOR USE: This kitchen cutting board has an optimal size of 16 x 12 x…
- ✅ KEEPS KNIVES SHARP – An end grain cutting board design protects the blades from…
What is the best wood for a butcher block?
Wood is a much better choice than plastic for cutting boards. The expected woods are maple, cherry or walnut. Here’s a quick guide to the benefits of each of these types of wood.
- Maple is durable and has the best heat resistance, making it ideal for slicing meats fresh from the grill or smoker, such as beef. B. Grilled Breast.
- Walnut is durable but also porous so you will need to oil it regularly as it will absorb any liquid that comes in contact with the surface of your cutting board. This can be good if you want your salmon skin to stick together because osmosis makes them wetter than they otherwise would have been!
- Cherry boards are fairly soft and prone to knife damage, making them great for cutting vegetables(or anything else) where there isn’t much risk of crushing or damaging the wood. They are also well able to resist acids.
Butcher Stands vs. Cutting Boards: What’s the Difference?
Wooden butcher blocks are better than plastic cutting boards, they are more durable and harbor less bacteria. They’re also designed to be big enough to hold most cuts of meat, even huge 12-pound briskets or ribs.
Butcher blocks often come with grooves all around the board so they trap meat juices when cutting. This can help reuse them and keep your countertop clean.